Status report on perl 5.22 transition readiness (30th Sept)

Hello all,

Here is a quick update on progress since my last update on 7th Sept:

The current stats for this transition are as follows:

*  Number of binNMUs needed: 570[1] (was 571)
*  Number of arch:any packages which FTBFS with perl 5.22: 7 (was 8)
   * 1 fix pending; 6 needing more work or removal.
   * libapache2-mod-perl2 remains problematic, but there has been
     some progress in upstream svn.
     * Removing it temporarily appears to be an option. I suspect
       that upstream will be able to work on it again after the
       release of perl 5.22.1
   * we have agreed to not support libcoro-perl with perl 5.22[2]
   * libdata-dump-streamer-perl, libb-hooks-op-check-entersubforcv-perl,
     libdata-alias-perl and libdevel-findref-perl all need investigation;
     no activity upstream. Probably libdata-dump-streamer-perl has the
     biggest impact
*  Number of arch:all packages which FTBFS with perl 5.22: 9
   (was 19)[3], with uploads pending for 2 of those
   * needing work: libdebug-client-perl, padre, libpoe-api-peek-perl,
     libtest-checkchanges-perl, mysql-5.5 (but this is an apparently
     abandoned variant), libb-lint-perl, libmodule-info-perl

I'm continuing rebuilds of arch:any packages which depend on perlapi-*
or libperl* daily, so the test repository[4] remains almost up-to-date
with the archive. Problem reports welcome (to me), and of course further
testing (in a controlled, development environment) of packages you use is
welcome.

Niko pointed out that some upgrade testing would not go amiss, so that
is a discrete task for anyone who is interested.

perl in experimental has had some minor fixes in 5.22.0-4 and there
is one more minor change queued in git.

5.22.1 is starting to happen upstream[5] so there is an ongoing task
to track that and possibly update our package; but this doesn't need
to be entangled with the transition.

The proposed change to policy has now been updated and is ready to file
against debian-policy at the time of the transition[6].

Release team: can we upgrade the FTBFS bugs to RC now so they get
a bit more attention, and do you have a feeling for when you might
be ready for the perl transition?

Cheers,
Dominic (for the perl and pkg-perl teams)

[1] <https://release.debian.org/transitions/html/perl.html>
[2] <https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=787500>
[3] <https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?tag=perl-5.22-transition;users=debian-perl@lists.debian.org>
[4] <https://people.debian.org/~dom/perl/test/perl-5.22.0/>