Re: [rrd-users] RRDs perl library not on CPAN?

Today Maxwell Carey wrote:

> > Today Cosimo Streppone wrote:
> >
> > > I started out by including RRD::Simple, then I noticed it uses
> > > RRDs.pm under the hood, so I converted my code to it.
> > >
> > > I searched for RRDs on the CPAN, but I can't find it,
> > > not on metacpan nor on search.cpan.org.
> > >
> > > Doesn't that make CPAN distributions that need to depend
> > > on RRDs/RRDtool automatically broken?
> > >

> No more broken than any Perl module that has a dependency on an external
> library or binary, e.g. SNMP.pm, XML::LibXML, most of the DBD::* modules,
> the list goes on.
>
> If you try to install one of these from CPAN without first installing the
> dependency, the build will break. This makes sense, if you think about it.
> I wouldn't expect DBD::mysql to install properly if I didn't have the MySQL
> client installed on my system, for example.

so you would want me to maintain packages for each of the scripting
languages supported by rrdtool (which are tied to features in
certain versions of the library) independently of the main program
and keep them updated in the different scripting languages
repositories ?

cheers
tobi

www.oetiker.ch tobi@oetiker.ch +41 62 775 9902