Re: linking perl statically against libperl

On Sun, Apr 19, 2015 at 02:25:55PM +0200, Axel Beckert wrote:
> Niko Tyni wrote:
> > Cons:
> >     E increased memory usage on systems running multiple perl processes
> >     F possibly increased startup time for short perl scripts
> >       (but that may be a non-issue due to caching anyway?)
>
> This sounds rather concerning to me. The again, I've never noticed any
> issues on i386 and kfreebsd-i386.

Right. I suspect the choice between static and dynamic linking doesn't
matter much on most systems in the real world, but I'd be interested
in arguments to the contrary.

> Since you wrote in #781476 that both, statically and dynamically
> linked perl binaries are built anyways and then one is thrown away
> depending on the architecture, what about letting the user
> respectively administrator choose?

I think this is overkill and we don't need more choice here.

> Either by
>
> * shipping both in the perl package and using /etc/alternatives/perl
>   to choose between the two (perl-dynamic and perl-static) for
>   /usr/bin/perl, or

Even though update-alternatives is nowadays written in C and not
Perl, I still wouldn't trust the alternatives system enough to handle
Essential:yes functionality.

> * by providing two conflicting packages perl-base and
>   perl-base-static.

dpkg cries loudly (and rightly so) if you try to remove an Essential:yes
package like perl-base.

What I could do is to ship the dynamically linked binary separately
as something else than /usr/bin/perl, as it's basically just a tiny
wrapper for libperl. It's a bit tempting to put it in libperl5.20
and anticipate future Multi-Arch:same libperl packages by naming it
/usr/bin/perl-x86_64-linux-gnu or something like that...
--
Niko Tyni   ntyni@debian.org