Re: Out PET documentation at https://pkg-perl.alioth.debian.org/changelog.html: Does IGNORE-VERSION really support Debian Revisions?

Hi Gregor,

gregor herrmann wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Feb 2015 01:45:29 +0100, Axel Beckert wrote:
> > when looking up our IGNORE-VERSION documentation at
> > https://pkg-perl.alioth.debian.org/changelog.html#ignore_version I was
> > confused by the example which was "IGNORE-VERSION: 0.34-5". This looks
> > bogus to me: I have no idea why a specific package revision should be
> > ignored. As far as I remember we always used that to ignore upstream
> > releases.
>
> AFAIR we always used what's in the first line in d/changelog, which
> includes the Debian revision. A grep seems to confirm this memory [0].

Ah, but according to your examples, it was always a -1 revision except
for those very few examples:

> libauthen-tacacsplus-perl/debian/changelog:  IGNORE-VERSION: 0.24
> liblemonldap-ng-cli-perl/debian/changelog:  IGNORE-VERSION: 0.2
> libmultidimensional-perl/debian/changelog:  IGNORE-VERSION: 0.011
> libtest-dir-perl/debian/changelog:  IGNORE-VERSION: 1.014
[...]
> https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/DebianPerlGroup/OpenTasks/ChangelogHeaders

Thanks for digging that up. I remembered there was another source, but
couldn't remember where. I thought it was somewhere in the PET
documentation.

> (older documentation, and referring to PET(1) or PET2 probably) says
> the same.

... and has the very same example...

> > Because I'm quite sure that the above mentioned example is a bug in
> > our documentation, I've fixed it:
> > https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/pkg-perl/website.git/diff/?id=24f0998
>
> I _think_ this commit is wrong.

It is. But the example having a -5 revision still seems wrong to me,
to.

Will change it to a more realistic example with -1 soon.

> In my understanding PET can only ignore versions of the package it
> knows about/has access to and that's the full version with the Debian
> revision, taken from the newest changelog - Maybe Ansgar who wrote
> the code or someone who likes to read it can tell us.

I'll update it anyways according to your mail. If Ansgar posts more
details we can update it further.

Thanks!

		Regards, Axel
--
 ,''`.  |  Axel Beckert <abe@debian.org>, http://people.debian.org/~abe/
: :' :  |  Debian Developer, ftp.ch.debian.org Admin