Re: Proposed mass bug filing: /usr/lib/perl5 is changing with Perl 5.20

On Sun, 1 Jun 2014 22:08:07 +0300, Niko Tyni <ntyni@debian.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 01, 2014 at 08:33:25PM +0200, Bastien ROUCARIES wrote:
> > On Sat, May 31, 2014 at 10:13 PM, Niko Tyni <ntyni@debian.org> wrote:
> > > we're changing the directory where binary Perl modules are installed
> > > from the traditional /usr/lib/perl5 to either /usr/lib/<triplet>/perl5
> > > (containing the multiarch triplet) or /usr/lib/<triplet>/perl5/<version>
> > > (containing additionally the current major Perl version.)
> > >
> > > There's a pending Perl policy change in #748380 advising packages not
> > > to hardcode /usr/lib/perl5 anymore but to expand $Config{vendorarch}
> > > (from the Config module) during the build instead.
> >
> > How can we make the transition smooth ?
> >
> > I have a package.install file that contains a line
> > /usr/lib/perl5/
> >
> > I could not change it to /usr/lib/*/perl5/ because it will fail with
> > old ABI. I use now
> > /usr/lib{/*/,/}perl5/ but it work by chance and lintian warn me.
>
> Yeah, that's a bit cumbersome. One possibility is what Damyan Ivanov came
> up with for libgtk2-perl: have something like debian/package.install.in
> and preprocess it during the build to expand $Config{archlib}. See
>
>  http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-perl/packages/libgtk2-perl.git;a=commitdiff;h=88e0482c234c480e4d86fe44e933f7d38b8bfa43

Alternatively, you can use executable debhelper configuration files; simply
make debian/package.install an executable shell script (or Perl script or
whatever), and the output of its execution will be used instead of the file's
contents.

With reference to the preprocessing above, the equivalent would be to
export ARCHLIB in debian/rules and make libgtk2-perl{,-doc}.install executable
shell scripts using ${ARCHLIB}...

Regards,

Stephen