Bug#758100: perl: adopt versioned provides
dpkg (1.17.11) unstable; urgency=low
* Add versioned Provides support:
- Add a new dpkg --assert-versioned-provides command.
- Packages can provide a specific version, “virtual (= 1.0)” which will
be honored, previously it would just be accepted when parsing.
- Non-versioned virtual packages will not satisfy versioned dependencies.
- Versioned virtual packages will satisfy non-versioned dependencies.
Based on skeletal code by Ben Collins <email@example.com>.
Closes: #7330, #24934, #112131, #134582, #180316
I expect this will be very useful for us and will put an end to the
mess with 'perl (>= 5.18.0) | libdual-life-module (>= x.x)' dependencies.
AIUI, 'libdual-life-module (>= x.x)' should be enough in the future.
Assuming dpkg in wheezy already accepts the versioned provides when
parsing, I suppose we could put them in the perl package straight away
and start cleaning the dependencies after jessie.
Niko Tyni firstname.lastname@example.org