Re: Proposed mass bug filing: /usr/lib/perl5 is changing with Perl 5.20

On Sun, Jun 01, 2014 at 08:33:25PM +0200, Bastien ROUCARIES wrote:
> On Sat, May 31, 2014 at 10:13 PM, Niko Tyni <ntyni@debian.org> wrote:

> > we're changing the directory where binary Perl modules are installed
> > from the traditional /usr/lib/perl5 to either /usr/lib/<triplet>/perl5
> > (containing the multiarch triplet) or /usr/lib/<triplet>/perl5/<version>
> > (containing additionally the current major Perl version.)
> >
> > There's a pending Perl policy change in #748380 advising packages not
> > to hardcode /usr/lib/perl5 anymore but to expand $Config{vendorarch}
> > (from the Config module) during the build instead.
>
> How can we make the transition smooth ?
>
> I have a package.install file that contains a line
> /usr/lib/perl5/
>
> I could not change it to /usr/lib/*/perl5/ because it will fail with
> old ABI. I use now
> /usr/lib{/*/,/}perl5/ but it work by chance and lintian warn me.

Yeah, that's a bit cumbersome. One possibility is what Damyan Ivanov came
up with for libgtk2-perl: have something like debian/package.install.in
and preprocess it during the build to expand $Config{archlib}. See

 http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-perl/packages/libgtk2-perl.git;a=commitdiff;h=88e0482c234c480e4d86fe44e933f7d38b8bfa43

--
Niko Tyni   ntyni@debian.org