Re: ABI incompatibility problems between Perl versions

On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 11:50:05PM +0300, Niko Tyni wrote:

> I think a much cleaner and more robust fix would be to move to version
> specific directories for XS modules ($Config{vendorarch}) so that ABI
> incompatible modules will not be visible to the Perl interpreter at
> all. This would be just a slight generalization of the @INC multiarch
> change discussed in #748380 and needs the same amount of fixing in the
> archive (hardcoded references to /usr/lib/perl5, currently in at least
> 60 or so packages).

I note that this should also solve the problem with dual life XS modules
in perl-base (#743690), in particular with libscalar-list-utils-perl,
which is currently uninstallable (#725899 / #721450).

I think the pending policy change in #748380 just about covers this,
except for the requirement that all packages installing into vendorarch
need a dependency on perlapi-*.

The biggest impact is that changing the 60 or so packages hardcoding
/usr/lib/perl5 becomes a blocker for the whole Perl 5.20 transition,
not just the multiarch @INC.
--
Niko Tyni   ntyni@debian.org