Re: Query regarding circular dependency

On Tue, 18 Mar 2014, Daniel Lintott wrote:
> Following my recent work on bug #736820 [1], which required packaging a
> number of new modules, I've now discovered it has created a circular
> dependency!
>
> libnet-frame-perl depends on libnet-frame-device-perl (this is to fix
> the bug)
>
> and
>
> libnet-frame-device-perl depends on libnet-frame-perl.
>
> Looking at bug again, would it be acceptable on libnet-frame-perl to
> drop the dependency to a suggests?

Because neither libnet-frame-device-perl nor libnet-frame-perl have
postinsts and the dependency cycle is very short the restriction on
circular dependencies isn't really important here.

That said, it would be possible for libnet-frame-device-perl to
Recommends: libnet-frame-perl, especially if you can include an
informative error message in the modules in libnet-frame-device-perl
which tell people to install libnet-frame-perl [and if anything which
depends on libnet-frame-device-perl is fixed to depend on
libnet-frame-perl instead.]

Information wants to be free to kill again.
 -- Red Robot http://www.dieselsweeties.com/archive.php?s=1372