Re: [rt.cpan.org #89006] Carp has no POD on my 5.18.1 installation -> still test suite failures with 1.51

On Sun, Sep 29, 2013 at 04:11:31PM +0200, Axel Beckert wrote:
> It's possible that Debian splits PM and POD of (some, but not all[1])
> core modules for packaging. Debian's perl source package builds at
> least four binary packages: perl-base (the interpreter itself),
> perl-modules (all core modules), perl-doc (the perl-doc script and
> documentation to core modules) and perl (a metapackage pulling in at
> least perl-base and perl-modules).

That's not quite the right definition; perl-base contains the
interpreter and a minimal set of libraries which will always be
installed on Debian systems; perl-modules contains the architecture
independent (non-XS modules) and the perl package contains the rest
(ie perl isn't just a metapackage).

perl-doc does indeed include some .pod files extracted/stripped from the
modules installed in perl-base. This is done with the splitdoc script[1].

> Cc'ing the debian-perl mailing list to get some enlightenment about
> the reasons behind this

I would imagine the reason that this has been done (since 2001, btw:

perl (5.6.1-1) unstable; urgency=low

  * Changes to perl-base:
    + Move [massive] upstream changelog to perl.
    + Move autoloaded routines from POSIX to perl.
    + Strip pod from modules into separate .pod files, distributed
      with perl-doc.

 -- Brendan O'Dea <bod@debian.org>  Mon, 21 May 2001 03:43:18 +1000

)

is mainly to keep perl-base as small as possible.

> and e.g. on which modules can be relied on to
> always be installed and always contain POD.

so interpreting this strictly, no module is guaranteed to be installed
and have POD, since only perl-base modules are guaranteed to be
installed.

Dominic.

[1] <http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=perl/perl.git;a=blob;f=debian/splitdoc;h=252f337c43b55ea02b71c7eae74f7aec99c4fab4;hb=HEAD>