Re: Next generation packages.debian.org (fastcgi done)

Hi,

(I quote most of the mail for reference)

On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 01:19:16PM +0300, Damyan Ivanov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Short story: developers needed for improving the web application
> behind packages.debian.org. djpig cc-ed because of a rumour of
> existing attempt of such an improvement.
>
> Long story:
>
> A couple of days ago DSA upgraded one of the hosts that is serving
> packages.debian.org. Since then, apache processes seem to hang after
> some time hogging CPUs and the service is unresponsible.
>
> During discussions, DSA requested that the web application should be
> changed so that:
>  - it lives outside of the web server process; preferably in fcgid
>    environment
>  - it uses a real database that could be mirrored easier than BDB
>    (which they say is a nightmare to mirror)
> Another idea is to make the application only present information and
> do no aggregation whatsoever. FTP-masters are ready to provide
> anything that is needed for this to work.

I tried to get involved a few month ago, but I did not get to bootstrap the
application.
However during debconf13 I met Damyan and he helped me to get started so I had
a VM at my site with working packages.debian.org code.
We also improved the documentation and fixed a syntax error in the process.
I also made changes so we can switch from modperl to fastcgi.
These are some simple changes as I wanted to keep it as simple as possible e.g.
http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=webwml/packages.git;a=commitdiff;h=5b1058f0451276e8d11edd10c55a813436f060aa

Fast-forward: yesterday zobel and symoon deployed the code.
Now it runs on apache2 + fastcgi.

This is just the start: I intend to work on this further as I am interested and
things are far from perfect.

I will post about how can we move forward to use a real database (as requested
by DSA). I have several possible solutions in mind.

Stay tuned!

and thanks to all who was involed :)

Regards,
  cstamas