Re: Parallel-ForkManager security issue

On Sat, 2012-12-22 at 20:17 +0200, Gabor Szabo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am adding some tests to Parallel-ForkManager and encountered the ticket
>
> https://rt.cpan.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=68298
>
> that links to

Please note that the Debian package of Parallel::ForkManager is not
maintained by the Debian Perl group.

> Is there any Debian patch for the problem?

No, I saw that this was insecure and notified the upstream author when
the first version of Parallel::ForkManager came out that included this
functionality. I haven't updated Parallel::ForkManager in Debian to any
of the affected versions since this bug was introduced.

> Would using the tempdir function of  File::Temp instead of
> File::Spec->tmpdir be secure enough?

Not necessarily. The problems are basically:
1) The filenames used in /tmp are predictable.
2) None of the file operations are checked to verify they are operating
on safe targets.
3) The umask is not set so the data passed through /tmp is world
readable.
4) Whether or not any data is passed through /tmp, the parent process
attempts to deserialize the filename in /tmp using Storable which allows
arbitrary code execution for any local attacker in the context of the
parent process.

> What else would you suggest?

Actually, it's silly this bug has dragged on so long now. I'll contact
the upstream author again and see if he'll give me comaint on the CPAN
module to fix it. Passing data like this isn't difficult to accomplish
in a secure way.