Re: Mass-filing bug against use of '/usr/bin/env perl' shebang line

Gian Piero Carrubba <gpiero@rm-rf.it> writes:

> Sorry, not being packaged in the debian-policy package, I assumed there
> was no `official' Python policy.[0] Anyway it's listed in [1],
> definitively an official page.

> In 3.1[2] it reads: "Programs that can run with any version of Python
> must begin with #!/usr/bin/python or #!/usr/bin/env python (the former
> is strongly preferred).". So the use of `/usr/bin/env' is explicitly
> permitted, even if not preferred.

This feels like the right policy for Perl as well, honestly.  I think
using /usr/bin/perl and not env is a Policy "should," but not really a
"must."  It's not at all obvious to me that using env should be an RC bug,
which is what "must" approximately means.