The State of the TimeZone in Debian

Following up on

http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-perl-maintainers/2012-March/052645.html
and the bug reports
http://bugs.debian.org/660404 and
http://bugs.debian.org/690908

I've now looked at some of the mentioned modules, and I've created
preliminary packages for

DateTime::TimeZone::Olson / libdatetime-timezone-olson-perl:
http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-perl/packages/libdatetime-timezone-olson-perl.git

Time::OlsonTZ::Data / libtime-olsontz-data-perl:
http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-perl/packages/libtime-olsontz-data-perl.git

Before I file ITP bugs and upload them, I'd like to have some review;
especially on my patch for Time::OlsonTZ::Data, which makes the
module use the tzfiles from tzdata in /usr/share/zoneinfo instead of
duplicating them:
http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-perl/packages/libtime-olsontz-data-perl.git;a=blob;f=debian/patches/tzdata.patch;hb=HEAD
http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-perl/packages/libtime-olsontz-data-perl.git;a=blob;f=debian/rules;hb=HEAD

Besides a general sanity check, some more tests for this patch would
be welcome.

What I'm also missing is the big picture how those package relate to
the good old DateTime::TimeZone with its tzfiles-converted-to-pm-files.
It's supposed to use Time::OlsonTZ::Data at some point, right?

Do we need something else? I think we can skip
Time::OlsonTZ::Download, since we want to use our tzdata anyway,
right? And I think App::olson is also not required.

   `-   NP: Bettina Wegner: Lied für meine verlassenen Freunde