Re: new package review: libunicode-stringprep-perl

On 12-06-22 at 03:12pm, Dominique Dumont wrote:
> On Friday 22 June 2012 12:19:07 gregor herrmann wrote:
> > There's only one thing that makes me a bit uneasy: The license terms
> > of t/nameprep*. At a first quick reading I'm not convinced this is
> > DFSG-free (is modification allowed?).
> > Maybe someone else could take a look at this, too.
>
> The copyright is copied from
>
> http://www.gnu.org/software/libidn/draft-josefsson-idn-test-vectors.html
>
> The restrictive clause is "However, this document itself may not be
> modified in any way, such as by removing the copyright notice or
> references to the Internet Society or other Internet organizations,
> except as needed for the purpose of developing Internet standards in
> which case the procedures for copyrights defined in the Internet
> Standards process must be followed, or as required to translate it
> into languages other than English."
>
> I think this clause apply only to the above link.
>
> IMO, the test vectors in the Perl module tests are a derivative work
> of this document and are covered with "derivative works that comment
> on or otherwise explain it or assist in its implementation may be
> prepared, copied, published and distributed, in whole or in part,
> without restriction of any kind, provided that the above copyright
> notice and this paragraph are included on all such copies and
> derivative works."
>
> So I think this derivative work is DFSG even if the above link is not.

Since (I suspect) tests are not crucial, I would prefer to avoid them
due to the ambiguity of interpretation.

The quoted legalese reminds me of RFC documents which I have been
instructed in the past to strip from source to make it DFSG-compliant.

 - Jonas