Re: libcgi-pm-perl repacking (.gif files)

On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 02:23:06PM +0200, Niko Tyni wrote:
> Hi Alessandro and the debian-perl list,
>
> I just noticed that libcgi-pm-perl has aqcuired a +dfsg version suffix:
>
> libcgi-pm-perl (3.58+dfsg-1) unstable; urgency=low
> [...]
>   * Remove *.gif images from upstream tarball
>     (not in preferred form of modification)
> [...]
>  -- Alessandro Ghedini <al3xbio@gmail.com>  Sun, 13 Nov 2011 14:19:28 +0100
>
> The removed .gif images can be found at for example
>  http://cpansearch.perl.org/src/MARKSTOS/CGI.pm-3.59/examples/dna.small.gif
>  http://cpansearch.perl.org/src/MARKSTOS/CGI.pm-3.59/examples/wilogo.gif
>
> The reasoning behind the repacking is not clear to me, and I couldn't
> easily find any discussion about it. Is there any proof that those files
> are distributed without their source (as in "not in the preferred form
> of modification")? Has this been discussed upstream?
>
> It does seem possible to me that a .gif file could be the real source,
> for example if the image was created with Gimp and then only saved out
> as in gif format, or if the original .xcf has been lost and the .gif
> is the only thing left.

Hmm, I don't really remember the reasoning behind the change, but I think
that given the lack of information about the files whatsoever and the fact
that they are only used in an example script and in a not installed
document, I thought it was better to simply remove them. Also, according to
the git commit of the import of version 3.58 it appears that both the images
were new files, but they have been shipped in the libcgi-pm-perl package
forever... I may have also been fooled by that.

Now that you point that out, I'm inclined to agree with you, the change was
not necessary, and I'm going to revert it for the next upload of the package
(if nothing, it would make the maintainance of the package easier).

Cheers

--
perl -E'$_=q;$/= @{[@_]};and s;\S+;<inidehG ordnasselA>;eg;say~~reverse'