Re: Please adopt arename

Hey there, gregor,

gregor herrmann wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 19:23:11 +0100, Maximilian Gaß wrote:
>> All other Perl stuff I did was part of the Perl Group, so this is the
>> only package that I had maintained by myself. I was planning to bring
>> in into the team eventually but never got around to it. I think it
>> would be in good hands :)
>
> Adopted, upgraded and uploaded now.

Thanks for taking care of this package.

(Putting on arename-upstream hat...)

However, there's a problem with that. You're using github's
auto-generated tarballs. Those are missing a "VERSION" file.

The thing is, that during script-generation, the current version is
deduced from the state of the git repository (nearest version tag, etc).
Since that state is not a available in tarballs, I'm add that VERSION
file when I'm generating those release tarballs.

The version information in the manpages will be broken. And the script
will report "VERSION" instead of the actual version (ie "4.0").

I am always uploading properly generated tarballs to

  <https://github.com/ft/arename/downloads>

Tarballs for the nearest release can be generated by:

  % make release

And for snapshots of the master branch, this can be done:

  % make snapshot

Maybe you can still pull the current tarball out of incoming, because
I've heard the process of replacing an .orig tarball is a pain, once it
made it to the mirrors.

>> Thanks, although I don't like fish.
>
> Thanks to you for all you work!

Indeed, thanks Maximilian.