Re: libbio-samtools-perl 1.33-1

Le Wed, Jan 04, 2012 at 08:57:43PM -0600, Nathan Handler a écrit :

> I was looking into updating libbio-samtools-perl to 1.33-1. lintian
> complains about script-with-language-extension and
> binary-without-manpage. Neither of these appear to be new. gregor
> herrmann suggested talking to you about how to proceed here. The
> update is available in the pkg-perl git repository (along with
> gregoa's note in debian/changelog). I have no issue doing the work if
> you tell me how you would like to deal with these issues. I also have
> no problem if you want to personally handle them.

Dear Nathan,

as there is nothing private in your message, I answer you in public.

First of all, thank you for your work and sorry for not having noticed it.  I
have added myself as a recipent for the commit mails now.

script-with-language-extension
------------------------------

I have a strong opinion on that matter :

  - Renaming these programs breaks documentation and user scripts.  It creates
    incompatibilities between my my colleagues systems and my Debian system,
    and therefore my notes and programs.
  - If we accept prefixes, we should accept suffixes: why would pyfoo or gfoo
    be are acceptable and foo.pl not ?
  - These programs are not a standard interface, and no third party
    implementation is expected.
  - In my experience with bioinformatics packages, when programs like foo2bar.pl
    and foo2bar.py are made by different developers and distributed in
    different packages, they also take different options are are not drop-in
    replacement for each others.  Renaming creates potential problems.

I am therefore strongly opposed to renaming when it brings only inconvenience
and extra work.

binary-without-manpage
----------------------

You are very welcome to write a POD documentation.  I have written manpages for
the first the packages I was making, and in my experience, even if Upstream
adopt them, they do not always update them.  I warn you that actively
maintaining manpages for dozens of packages is a gigantic task unless the
manpage is a useless placehlder.  For that reason, I would prefer not having
manpages as a patch, and suggest to submit it upstream and give up if it is
ignored.

Build logs

I fancy storing the build logs in the git package, see:

  - http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-perl/packages/libbio-samtools-perl.git;a=tree;h=refs/heads/meta;hb=meta
  - http://charles.plessy.org/Debian/debiâneries/tout-dans-git/

If you upload the package, can you commit your local build logs and control files ?

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Debian Med packaging team,