Migration from subversion to Git closing up

Hi,

Thanks to the work of ansgar, bremner, gregoa and me, it seems that
the migration from Subversion to Git is not only possible, but also
possible in the very near future.

                        +---------------------+
                        |   * DON'T PANIC *   |
                        +---------------------+

   we don't want to switch at any cost. If you foresee problems,
   please share your visions with the rest of the group.

Thanks to the work area available at DebConf11, we were able to
address quite a few rough edges and it seems it is possible to migrate
to Git without losing much of the current functionality.

What is still to be done:

 * test the actual migration anew and inspect closer for possible
   problems
 * rewrite or write new documentation describing the process. With
   time we have accumulated a lot of documentation of the workflow
   with Subversion. This needs to be made for Git too, at least the
   basic stuff.
 * rewrite/adapt utility scripts for Git. We have accumulated lots of
   scripts that proved very useful in the long run.
 * PET2 has some missing pieces compared to PET. Also, ansgar is
   rewriting it yet again using radically different technologies
   (another scripting language and a zope templating engine). Help is
   welcome, especially with TAL.

I think of these only the first is a real blocker and I hope it should
be cleared with bremner arriving at DebConf RSN.

What is done:

 * the concept of using mr(1) for updating all the repositories has
   cleared up. All the pieces are ready and it seems to work quite
   good, with very few glitches.
 * some documentation is available
 * creating Git repositories and sending them to alioth works

Expect more news soon, sooner of you help :)