Re: Copyright License Proposal

I think Josef has this just about right and I previously attempted to
make these points to Ingy on #debian-perl.

One consequence of this is that I started on Test::Copyright. The idea
is that it starts by getting the license information from the META data
(as Ingy suggests) but then it goes on from that. It looks for a
LICENSE/COPYING/README file and makes sure that the license information
in that matches what is in the data, and then it looks for the Copyright
information in the remainder of that file. Then it makes sure that every
.pm/.pod file has a copyright and license statement matching what is in
the LICENSE/COPYING/README file. It could easily be expanded to cope
with XS modules and different licenses on different files though I will
satisfy myself with getting the straightforward case to work first. The
latter in particular would require something equivalent to DEP-5 in the
LICENSE/COPYING/README file. It uses Software::License
so some of that standardization effort is being leveraged.

To summarize Jozef's points. What we need is to improve the quality and
consistency  of license/copyright information in CPAN. A release test
module that checks for this seems the most consistent with current
practice and so most likely to gain traction.

--
Nicholas Bamber | http://www.periapt.co.uk/
PGP key 3BFFE73C from pgp.mit.edu