Re: Copyright and License Guidelines

Jonathan Yu <jawnsy@cpan.org> writes:

> Doing what people have suggested, e.g. accepting patches with credit but
> without copyright attribution is actually illegal according to the Berne
> Convention, in the absence of that CLA.

You're saying that the majority of free software in existence is illegal,
since practically everyone outside the FSF and similar large organizations
does this.  Even the Linux kernel does this.  Perl itself does this; there
is code and text written by me in SDBM_File, Porting/Contract, and
Configure that doesn't contain any copyright statement by me (because I
didn't include one and saw, and still see, no need to add one).  Perl's
own copyright statement says merely:

    Perl is Copyright (C) 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000,
    2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 by Larry Wall and
    others.  All rights reserved.

You're making an extraordinary claim that I think requires extraordinary
proof.