Re: Copyright and License Guidelines

On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 05:47:48 -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:

Thanks for your valuable input!

> If a distribution told me I had to include complete copyright statements
> for every contribution for them to include my software, I'd point them at
> the law and tell them that there's no reason to go to that effort.  If
> they insisted, I'd ignore them.  It's not worth my time.  (As a Debian
> Developer, were that distribution Debian, I'd instead propose a GR to
> overturn such a policy, but I don't believe it actually *is* Debian's
> policy, just the misunderstanding of some well-meaning packagers.)

I understand ftp-masters' policy to be that a copyright statement is
required for accepting new packages into the archive.

Not that there's much documentation about that, what I've found is:
http://ftp-master.debian.org/REJECT-FAQ.html ("Copyright" in the left
column, linking to
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2006/03/msg00023.html
and
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2003/12/msg00007.html )

Am I misreading these statements, or is the position not covered by
Debian's policies?

 .''`.   http://info.comodo.priv.at/ -- GPG key IDs: 0x8649AA06, 0x00F3CFE4
   `-    NP: Beach Boys: Sloop John B