Re: Re: Should example scripts be compressed?

On Wed, 16 Mar 2011 08:56:11 -0400, Jonathan Yu wrote:

> In the end, it's a trade-off: is spending a few kB that big of a deal
> overall? Probably not. But if that's the case, why do we worry so much
> about the size of the Packages file? The line of reasoning for that
> issue was that Debian is used on embedded devices with little memory,
> and we should use that memory sparingly.

Right, and the difference is that Packages files end up on each and
every machine running Debian, while those examples are only there
when a user installs the package (libimager-perl, which started this
discussion, is installed on 0.14% of the machines that have dpkg
installed, according to popcon).

> And if users haven't reported the issue yet (e.g. complained about
> example scripts being compressed),

There are a few bug reports, but admittedly they are rare.

 .''`.   http://info.comodo.priv.at/ -- GPG key IDs: 0x8649AA06, 0x00F3CFE4
   `-    NP: Beatles