Re: Add me to the Perl group please!

On 16/12/2011 9:33 PM, gregor herrmann wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Dec 2011 10:39:35 +0800, James Bromberger wrote:
>
>> I think I've got it sorted. I've followed the documentation and set up
>> my repo in vasks, pushed my local git repo there, built package, and
>> uploaded to incoming (closing ITP #652203). I'd appreciate anyone wants
>> to review the repo and let me know what I've done wrong this time. :)
>
> Nothing tragic, just a few nitpicks concerning the package itself:
> - I'd remove d/libchi-driver-memcached-perl.docs, the README is just
> a text version of the POD
> - d/copyright: the years of upstream copyright are missing (probably
> 2007-2011)
> - d/control:
> * Vcs-* headers are missing
> * libchi-perl doesn't need a version (nothing older in the archive)
> * short description should be a noun phrase
> * (totally cosmetic): Build-Depends-Indep could be wrapped

Great! Thanks very much Gregor - updated in git version 0.14-2, built and re-uploaded with these fixes.

> Looking at the git repo:
> * there's no upstream and no pristine-tar branch
> * there are no tags
>
> If you haven't pushed them please do so, otherwise you can use the
> git-missing-upstream script (in our scripts repo) to recreate them.

I'm a little confused by this. I think I have the tag for the 0.14-2 release sorted (as per doco, debcommit -a -r && git push && git push --tags). I have the orig.tar.gz sitting in ../ - where do I push that to? If I push to a separate branch, how do I make this branch (in a separate check out of my git repo?)?

I generated this with dh-make-perl [option?] --cpan Foo --vcs git, so supposedly this already has an upstream and pristine-tar branch (again, I'm new to git today, so not sure how I see these branches in my repo).

> Oh, and after downloading the tarball with uscan, the package doesn't
> build:
> When trying to add an upstream branch from the CPAN tarball with the
> aforementioned script, I get a merge conflict and see:
>
> ++<<<<<<< HEAD
> +Test::Deep = 0
> +Test::Exception = 0
>
> If I'm reading this correctly you've added two lines to dist.ini; I
> think that's not needed (we can declare the build dependencies
> anyway) but if you want to do this you need to make a proper patch to
> avoid that dpkg-source bails out.
> (But maybe I'm reading this wrong :))

Perfectly correct interpretation. The original dist.ini that was generated from dh-make-perl missed two critical build dependencies (the others you mentioned above were not critical to the success of the build, but I've added them in for completeness). Since the build dependency is in d/control, it was kind of redundant so I've reverted this back to upstream and pulled the unnecessary patch file(s) in the 0.14-2 I have just uploaded.

> After resolving the conflict (by using the upstream version, i.e.
> removing the 2 lines) the package builds.
>
> During the build I see a few skipped tests:
> t/CHIDriverTests-Fast.t .......... skipped: one of required modules not installed: Cache::Memcached::Fast
> t/CHIDriverTests-libmemcached.t .. skipped: one of required modules not installed: Cache::Memcached::libmemcached
> t/CHIDriverTests-Memcached.t ..... skipped: one of required modules not installed: Cache::Memcached
> t/pod.t .......................... skipped: Test::Pod 1.22 required for testing POD
>
> I assume (but haven't checked) that adding a few more build
> dependencies would activate them.

Done - except we dont (yet?) have a Cache::Memcached::libmemcached packaged... but no great loss, I suspect.

Many thanks or the time taken to review this and help me.

  James

- --
/Mobile:/ +61 422 166 708, /Email:/ james_AT_rcpt.to
PLUG President 2011: http://www.plug.org.au <http//www.plug.org.au>