.gitignore file in pkg-perl repositories?

Gregor,

On Tue, 2011-12-06 at 12:43 -0500, gregor herrmann wrote:
> On Mon, 05 Dec 2011 23:20:10 +0000, Robert James Clay wrote:
>
> >    Regarding your comment about the .gitignore file;  I started using
> > that when I switched over to using git for the Perl related work I was
> > doing.  But perhaps it's better to use ~/.gitignore_global
> > and .git/info/exclude?
>
> I'll leave that question to our git experts; I just remember that some
> of them was not happy about adding .gitignore files to packages, ....

> For reference, my question in d/changelog reads:
>
>   - .gitignore: not sure if this is a good idea, 1) it might clash with a
>     potential future upstream .gitignore, and 2) it might hide problems
>     (leftovers after builds)

   I can see that there might be issues like that.

> http://pkg-perl.alioth.debian.org/git.html#tips___tricks also talks
> about a global excludesfile (added by dam in 515624a9;

    I did see that note but since I was already using a .gitignore file
in the repository, I'm afraid I didn't think about the wider
implications of using it that way.

>  but there's still F<~/.gitignore> mentioned ...).

    That's what I ended up changing to, ~/.gitignore, plus
using .git/info/exclude for whatever might be specific to a repository.
('Course, now I need to check the other git repositories I have
locally...<g>)

RJ Clay ('Jame')
jame@rocasa.us