Re: RFP: libterm-ansicolor-perl bug #642594

On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 09:07:21AM +0300, Damyan Ivanov wrote:
> -=| Kirk Kimmel, 24.09.2011 22:09:07 -0400 |=-
> > http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=642594 :
> >
> > Package: wnpp
> > Severity: wishlist
> >
> > * Package name    : libterm-ansicolor-perl
> >   Version         : 3.01
> >
> > The newest version of the Term::ANSIColor module exports two new
> > functions colorstrip() and colorvalid(). In addition, 32 color
> > constants are exported, up from 16 in the previous versions.
>
> Version 3.00 seems to include the needed functionality too and is
> included in perl 5.14 in experimental (in perl-modules package).
>
> > I was able to build a deb with cpan2deb and test installed it on
> > 6.0.2 with no problems.
>
> I wonder if it is worth the hassle to introduce a newer
> libterm-ansicolor-perl package and drop it a couple of months later[0],
> when 5.14 enters unstable.
>
>     [0] a pure speculation on my side
>
> 3.01 (in perl 5.15.2) seems to additionally contain some fixes, that
> seem like a good thing to have[1].
>
>     [1] http://api.metacpan.org/source/RRA/Term-ANSIColor-3.01/ChangeLog
>
> Perl maintainers, what would you recommend?

It's unlikely that 3.01 will be included in any 5.14 release, based on
my understanding of the 5.14 maint policy, so if you want that fix, it'll
probably need to be packaged separately (we could patch it locally if
needed, but that is likely to confuse more than help; I think we've
avoided upgrading CPAN modules in perl except for serious problems).

Otherwise, it's likely that 5.14.x will indeed end up in unstable before
too long; that's certainly my hope, although I've not heard back from the
release team on #637809 yet.

If you want to upload libterm-ansicolor-perl before then, no objections
from me; we'll pick up the addition of the new dual-lived module package
with Niko's nifty scripts, and include the relevant control fields in a
subsequent upload.

Cheers,
Dominic.