Re: Git migration update

-=| Charles Plessy, Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 09:57:05AM +0900 |=-
> In the context of another team, I sometimes migrate some of my
> packages using git-svn, but I would be very interested to read about
> your methodology if you followed a different path.

git-svn is pain. it is so slow that we could never have finished the
transition in such a short time frame.

The following is how I sow the things, wich were actually done by
David Bremner.

David used a modified version of svn-fast-export with
a machine-generated configuration file. The output of that was fed to
git-fast-import (IIUC) and that's it. This allowed us to migrate all
the history of the packages, despite of radical layout changes like
from using $pkg/{trunk,branches,tags} to using
{trunk,branches,tags}/$pkg or renaming of packages.

There was some bug in the sid version of svn-fast-export, but the fix
was available in upstream's VCS so having a fixed variant on a local
machine was possible.

This way, the run over all the 2000 packages took about an hour and
a half, which gave us the opportunity to test the migration several
times before the last run.