Re: cpan upgrade : installation errors

Quoting tomas@tuxteam.de:

On Tue, Jun 07, 2011 at 09:09:12PM +0200, Bruno Costacurta wrote:
Hello,

I installed cpan in my home directory. Debian is Lenny.
I start it via 'sudo cpan' and try 'upgrade' but got many identical errors
:
Hereafter I only show error for one module, but all modules got same error.

cpan[3]> upgrade
..
Running install for module 'Socket'
The most recent version "1.94" of the module "Socket"
is part of the perl-5.13.11 distribution. To install that, you need to run
   force install Socket   --or--
   install F/FL/FLORA/perl-5.13.11.tar.gz
Running make test
   Can't test without successful make
Running make install
   Make had returned bad status, install seems impossible
..etc..

Perl version is 5.10,but cpan mentions perl-5.13.
Is it possible there is conflict between Debian package for Perl, and CPAN
installation ?

There is no conflict whenever the installations go to different places
(for example: Debian's "official" distribution in /usr and CPAN's in
/usr/local -- or even somewhere in your home directory). This should
"just work". When writing programs you should be aware of both locations
and keep an eye on @INC, $PATH and things like that.

Basically a Perl installation under Debian should be only made from
packages ?
Or only from Perl sources ? So avoiding conflics between both sources ?

If you are careful, you can keep both.

But: why do you need that?

I mean: there are enough legitimate reasons to do, but you are taking up
a burden, so it should be justified.

Regards
- -- tomás

So now how to resolv the cpan upgrade errors (as shown top of the email) ?

Bye,
Bruno