Re: The annual git/svn discussion (was: Re: Minutes of the pkg-perl BoF at DebConf 10)

On Mon, Aug 09, 2010 at 07:06:05PM +0200, Xavier Oswald wrote:
On 08:02 Mon 09 Aug     , Tim Retout wrote:
On 8 August 2010 07:27, Xavier Oswald <xoswald@debian.org> wrote:
> On 23:35 Sat 07 Aug     , Tim Retout wrote:
>> I assumed we would want one git repository per package.  Now, 1700 >> git repositories turns out to be quite difficult to make perform >> as quickly as a single svn trunk checkout.
>
> Im not sure if this is what we want.. One git per package seems > fair but Im wondering if we really want to move all the 1700 > packages we have. Some people will still want to work with svn and > for people who are working on a package they can choose to create a > git repo and move the work under git.

Okay, I wasn't intending to imply this (and I was actually testing on a pilot set of about 200 packages). My point was that we want one git repository per source package, and not one git repository for all source packages.

This is right.

I think the consensus at the meeting was that we need PET 2 in place (with support for both svn and git repositories), so that we can consider an incremental migration.

Ok too.

What I was saying is that we maybe don't need to migrate all packages under git and let people when they are working on a target package to let the choice of migrating to git or keeping in svn.

And another point is that some packages, I don't know how many; will not be updated with a new upstream version that soon or even will never be updated upstream. Moving them to git is useless right now...

My point was that we should provide scripts/tools for people who want do a git migration easily.

+1

 - Jonas