Re: Hoping to be of use (as well as getting my packages uploaded....)

On Wed, Aug 04, 2010 at 06:53:05PM +0100, Nicholas Bamber wrote:
Okay if I understand things it's like this. In general Debian the prospective package maintainer does the packaging work to the best of his ability and hands it over to someone with upload privileges. The person with upload privileges rebuilds and sanity checks the packages and only if satisfied does he actually upload the package. Further to that he has the right to set his own additional conditions to make his life easier - it is after all a thankless and unpaid task. So if one fulfils all the conditions for generic Debian, but not fulfilled the conditions for a specific sponsor, then he must redo the work to the satisfaction of the sponsor.

I disagree with your summary, although I recognize that it can easily be perseived that way from the outside.

I general Debian is developed by Debian Developers (and, since recently, Debian Maintainers).

There are 2 different ways non-Developers (or -Maintainers) can get involved directly in package maintainance: Through sponsoring, and through teamwork.

The Perl team (and most, if not all, other teams) works as teamwork.

Personally I consider sponsoring a bad hack, and teamwork a more reliable way long-term to work with more loosely connected contributors. It is unfortunate that you were unaware of our working style ahead of your preparations, and am really happy that it seems you are not put off by the need to dive into yet another "subculture" of Debian.

Welcome aboard!

  - Jonas