Re: please upload libparse-dia-sql-perl

On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 12:08:03 +0200, Andreas Faafeng wrote:

> > I took a look at it, but IMO it's not completely ready for upload.
> > From my quick glance:
> > - missing debian/source/format (most new packages have "3.0 (quilt)")
> > - missing Vcs-* headers in d/control
> > - installing the README seems useless, we normally skip that kind of
> >   READMEs
> > - upstream copyright year missing in debian/control
> > - license: GPL doesn't make me happy (which one?) but that's an
> >   upstream question
> > - short description: should be a noun phrase, and no full stop at the
> >   end
> > - IO::Uncompress::Gunzip needs "perl (>= 5.10) | libio-compress-perl
> >   | libio-compress-zlib-perl"
> I have (hopefully) addressed the issues above and committed to svn.
> Please let me know if there still are violations to debian standards.

Cool!, Let's have a look:

* There's no debian/source/format (maybe you forgot to commit the
  file?).
* debian/libparse-dia-sql-perl.docs still contains README, but README is
  deleted - that doesn't help, since it's still in the .orig.tar.gz
  :)
* debian/copyright:
+Copyright:
+ Copyright (C) 2004 <ttiimmeelleessss@tigris.org>
  is incomplete, the "Files: tedia2sql" and "License: xx" lines are
  missing
  And now there is GPL-2 and GPL-2+ but only a GPL-2 stanza at the
  bottom, and the link there should point to ".../GPL-2"
* IO::Uncompress: applies to Build-Depends-Indep and Depends.

* debian/changelog: for new packages there should be only one line:
  "* Initial Release, closes: #577660."

The package doesn't build at the moment:
parsechangelog/debian: warning:     debian/changelog(l7): badly formatted trailer line
LINE:  -- <aff@cpan.org> Mon Jun 14 11:32:28 CEST 201
parsechangelog/debian: warning:     debian/changelog(l7): found eof where expected more change data or trailer
dpkg-buildpackage: error: unable to determine source changed by

The problem is the trailer of the changelog entry:
" -- <aff@cpan.org> Mon Jun 14 11:32:28 CEST 201" -> no full name,
wrong time format.
(Please always use debchange/dch for editing debian/changelog.)

(Fixed in svn.)

> > - libtest-exception-perl seems unnecessary in Depends (comes from
> >   META.yml)
> > - setting AUTHOR_TEST and adding some build-deps might enable
> >   additional tests but that's of course debatable
> Yes, Test::Exception is only used during tests.  What would the
> appropriate setting be for that dependency (or should it be removed)?

If it's used only during tests, i.e. during the package build, that
means: leave it in Build-Depends-Indep and remove it from Depends.

> How would I go about to set AUTHOR_TEST=1 ?

With debhelper 7 an override is the easiest way:

1) add to debian7rules:

override_dh_auto_test:
    AUTHOR_TEST=1 dh_auto_test

2) in debian/control:
   * in Build-Depends: debhelper (>= 7.0.50~)
     (that's the version where the overrides were introduced)
   * in Build-Depends-Indep: add the necessary packages used during
     the author tests (libtest-pod-perl, libtest-pod-coverage-perl,
     ...)

   I just saw that there's also t/903-perlcritic.t and
   t/904-kwalitee.t. The Perl::Critic tests are a bit fragile (they
   tend to break on new Perl::Critic changes, thus making the package
   unbuildable. So maybe the idea with enabling AUTHOR_TEST is not so
   good in the end ... Sorry for the noise.

 .''`.   http://info.comodo.priv.at/ -- GPG key IDs: 0x8649AA06, 0x00F3CFE4
   `-    NP: Bob Dylan: Blowin' In The Wind