Re: [Padre-dev] Debian/Ubuntu packaging

-=| Zeno Gantner, Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 01:46:01PM +0100 |=-
> according to
> Debian will not contain Padre in its next release, because we are fast
> moving target.

... which is deemed unsuitable for a release frozen for years.

I filed the bug, and I am guilty of not asking you about it
beforehand. I just imagined you won't be willing to hear about
problems (by users of Debian/stable) in a Padre release long forgotten
(and possibly even rewritten :))

If this is not the case, it is not too late yet. Bear in mind that the
lifetime of a Debian stable release is at least two years.

> However, we could ask the maintainers of the Padre Debian package
> whether they want to maintain the Debian package meta-data (dependency
> information etc.) in the Padre SVN.

How would this help? The meta data is already publicly available at
http://git.debian.org/?p=pkg-perl/apps/padre.git (and via 'apt-get
source padre' on each debian system with unstable src apt source).

> This could make it also easier for us to release Debian and Ubuntu
> packages for people who want to try the latest version (I know, possibly
> we would need to package additional CPAN modules as well if Padre relies
> on the latest version etc.).

For me, the hard part in upgrading the Debian package of padre is:

    1. reviewing the diff (so that I catch possible additions/changes
       that can't be distributed by Debian)
    2. preparing debian packages of the new dependencies

None of these will become easier if the debian/ directory is included
in Padre svn.

> If it is okay for you, I would try to contact the Debian package maintainers (in
> case they don't read this list ;-).

Sorry for not replying earlier. I do read the list, and I think Ryan
reads it too, but is just too busy.

I am also sending a Cc to debian-perl, in case some volunteer wants to
help with the points above :)