Re: Packaging "bundled" Perl distribution

Dominique,

If it's bundled upstream, and it's needed in Debian, then I thnink
it's fair to package it as: libdist-zilla-plugins-cjm-perl. If people
need to find the constituent modules, they can use dh-make-perl locate
or apt-file search per usual.

Especially when the bundle isn't that big (23.8KB from search.c.o), I
think it's best to keep 1 source tarball + 1 source package + 1 binary
package, containing all the needed modules. Trying to do anything
non-standard like split the modules up into several binary packages is
possible, but usually only required for huge projects (like KDE, which
runs into 100 MB+) and where people would often want separate things.

In my opinion, you should therefore:
> - produce only one noarch package (libdist-zilla-plugins-cjm-perl with its
> meaningless name)

I think the main argument against bundles is where we have separate
modules upstream and a bundled module in Debian (e.g. several source
tarballs, 1 source package, 1 binary package). They are more difficult
to maintain (though periapt's discussion looks promising), but this
does not apply to your specific case here.

Cheers,

Jonathan