Re: Minutes of the pkg-perl BoF at DebConf 10

Le Sun, Aug 08, 2010 at 12:05:20PM +0900, Ansgar Burchardt a écrit :

> Every package will have its own repository.  I think we all agree on
> this and it is also how the packages we already have in Git are handled
> today.

[…]

> But we still want to have whole-tree checkout.  And it should be
> reasonably fast to update this.

Hello everybody,

One possible solution would be to autogenerate ‘mr’ configuration files. In
addition it would allow a transition where some packages would be in SVN and
some in Git. I have explored a bit that direction for a much smaller project,
pkg-eucalyptus:

http://wiki.debian.org/pkg-eucalyptus#Cross-repositorycheckout

Depending on the pre-requirements that are chosen, the mr file can be kept
reasonably simple, for instance if developers are requested to have the
DEBEMAIL and DEBFULLNAME environmental variables set, and Host and User
variables appropriately set in .ssh/config.

Regarding speed, Tim's comments are very relevant. If each checkout is a new
SSH connection, it takes ages. Another problem for which I do not know a
solution is that there does not seem to be a possiblity to revert easily a
mass-commit.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy