Re: Minutes of the pkg-perl BoF at DebConf 10

On Sun, Aug 08, 2010 at 05:56:41AM +0300, أحمد المحمودي wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Sat, Aug 07, 2010 at 05:50:35PM -0400, gregor herrmann wrote:
> > Ansgar asks do we need checkouts of the whole tree?
> > D. Bremner: Yeah, we'd most likely need to do that.
> ---end quoted text---
>
>   If the transition to git would be done, would that mean that all
>   packages will be in the same git repo ? Or each package will reside in
>   its own git repository. Please note that due to the nature of git, one
>   needs to checkout the whole tree, which will be too much download size
>   if all packages will be in the same git repo.

So, this was in fact discussed.  Essentially, for mass changes to be
practical all packages need to be in a single repo.  Think policy
updates or such things that need to applied to all packages in operation
to save time.

It was also acknowledged that this would present a problem because of
the large amount of data and the fact the way git stores data requires a
complete repository checkout to be able to do any useful work.

The other issue besides git itself is git-buildpackage, which currently
does not support the idea of multiple Debian packages in the same git
repository.  I have hacked together a script (I posted a link in another
message in this thread) that I use for Shorewall, but there needs to be
a more elegant solution.

Regards,

-Roberto

Regards,