backporting-friendliness (was: Support for (old-)stable - policy addition draft)

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 23:07:41 +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:

> >>Beware, however, that it also affects debhelper compatibility level!
> >True, but as noted above: The trigger for the discussions and this
> >draft was the preparation for debhelper 8 :)
> >(And the aim was to write down when we drop alternative dependencies
> >or versions from dependencies instead of scratching our beards on IRC
> >in a small group every now and then.)
> Oh, so your post was mostly about documenting simplification (in
> build-dependencies) and I now add complication (in backporting
> support).  Sorry for that :-/

No problem, I'm sure we can sort it out :)

> >I see your point; IMO supporting backports is always a balance
> >between minimizing work for us and for potential backporters. I'm all
> >for helping backporters, as long is the "costs" for us are reasonable
> >(yes, "reasonable" is both vague and subjective). And since debhelper
> >7 makes life much easier for us I tend to vote for making _our_ lifes
> >easier in this case.
> As I hinted below, lives of both you and backporters would be easier
> if you saw the light of CDBS: Perl libraries in a 3-4 lines long
> rules file have been possible since 2004 with CDBS, so no
> backporting problems there!

*hehe*

> >There's a rather current version of debhelper in lenny-backports
> >(yes, that's not etch, but etch is end-of-lifed anyway :))
>
> As I see it, the following degrees of care for backporting exist:
>
>  a) Support oldstable (until dropped)
>  b) Support oldstable (until dropped) + other backporting mixture
>  c) Support stable
>  d) Support stable + other backporting mixture
>  e) No backporting support
>
> As Etch has been dropped by now, classes a) - c) are currently equal.

Ok.
We could also extend the table by a new column with/without
backports.org.

> A package build-depending on debhelper 7.0.15 has class a)
> backporting support until Lenny is dropped.
>
> A package build-depending on debhelper 7.0.16 or newer has class d)
> backporting support.
>
> A package build-depending on debhelper 7.4.11 or newer has class e)
> backporting support (until a newer debhelper is backported).

And backports.org currently has 7.4.11~bpo50+1 ...

> >>I therefore recommend to include in backport-support
> >>recommendations to only bump debhelper compat level when really
> >>needed, and whenever possible stick to the compat level
> >>supported in oldstable.

> Expressed like that I fully agree.

I'm not surprised -- these are your own words quoted by me :)

Ack, that's why I wouldn't phrase it like that :)

> >What I can imagine is
> >- thinking about when to switch to a new debhelper version in the
> > future (e.g. waiting for a debhelper $stable-backport);
> >- trying to avoid debhlper features that are only "nice" but not
> > needed if the version in $stable-backports doesn't support them.
> I recommend against writing guidelines tied to backports.org.
> Backporting is more than backports.org (e.g. I apply different - IMO
> stricter - dependency rules for my backporting efforts), and that
> repository is by design a moving target.

Well, catering for individual backporting strategies seems a bit
difficult to me.

> >That would need another discussion and, (if we find some guidelines,) a
> >separate section in our policy since my quick draft only talks about
> >(build) dependencies (alternatives and versions).
> Yes.  Let's let this subthread be about backporting-friendlines.

Agreed, subject adjusted.

> In other words, please everyone, comment on the original post by
> Gregor regarding build-dependency simplifications, so that simpler
> proposal does not get stalled/swamped by any discussions here.

Thanks :)

 .''`.   http://info.comodo.priv.at/ -- GPG key IDs: 0x8649AA06, 0x00F3CFE4
   `-    BOFH excuse #272:  Netscape has crashed