Re: Perl 5.12 status update

On Wed, 2010-06-02 at 10:51 +0300, Niko Tyni wrote:
> Another shortish status update on my perl 5.12 work.
>
> On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 06:34:40PM +0300, Niko Tyni wrote:
>
> > Upstream is releasing 5.12.1 in the next few days. It's a bugfix release
> > with minor changes. I intend to upload it into experimental quickly when
> > it's released.

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner regarding this.

In principle we'd be in favour of a move to 5.12 for Squeeze.  However,
we'd prefer to see the number of affected packages reduced further
before scheduling the transition; we also need to move to using Python
2.6 by default, and I think everyone would agree that having the two
transitions intersect is not a good idea. :-)

Our proposal would therefore be that we look again at the number and
severity of outstanding issues related to moving to Perl 5.12 once the
Python transition has finished and evaluate at that point whether it
would be feasible to do so before freezing.

Regards,

Adam