Re: Dependencies viewer

On ma, 2010-06-07 at 11:45 +0300, Damyan Ivanov wrote:
> -=| Roman V. Nikolaev, Mon, Jun 07, 2010 at 10:48:46AM +0400 |=-
> > I try to make deb package and I have one question for you. What
> > dependencies viewer for perl modules you are use? Or you do this
> > manually?
>
> I think the most broadly used method is to create the initial
> packaging with dh-make-perl.
>
> That would transform all the requirements declared by the perl module
> distribution into debian package dependencies. It will also warn about
> any requirements that aren't available as debian packages. For these
> you simply retry the procedure recursvely.

For build dependencies, building with pbuilder (or one of its variants)
helps a lot for finding build dependencies, since anything that isn't
declared is going to be missing, and thus cause an error. (Unless the
dependency is conditional.)

For most things with a good test suite, the run-time dependencies are a
subset of the build dependencies. That's not always completely true, but
it still helps.

For figuring out the runtime dependencies, using a chroot or a virtual
machine (kvm, virtualbox) helps: set up a base install, then install
your package into that and excercise it to see if anything is missing.

In the end, you will need to read upstream documentation (if any) and
browse the code to find out special cases.