Application naming (was: Re: gen-itp)

On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 08:01:46PM -1000, Joel Roth wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm ramping up to debianize my distribution Audio::Nama.
> Trying to recall what I learned (but mostly didn't
> write down) from my last packaging exercise.

This is an app, and installs nama, and executable.

Ansgar suggested on the channel that the package should
have a simple name (i.e. nama) instead of the usual
libfoo-bar-perl.

I recall discussions with Gregoa and others, mostly
advocating the latter.

I observe that Padre, another end-user application, has a
debian package 'padre', while its optional plugins and
libraries are libpadre-*.

Naturally I would prefer that naming as well.

--
Joel Roth