Re: perl: 64-bit integers and long doubles

* Niko Tyni:

> The benefits are obviously improved numeric range and precision. The
> downside is presumably increased memory usage. I have no measurement
> data on this; suggestions on suitable tests would be welcome.

I have run into several incompatibilities between i386 and amd64 due
to different Perl integer sizes, so I'm definitely in favor of 64-bit
integers.

I'm not sure if long doubles are a win.  The rest of the world runs on
64 bit floating point numbers, so this would introduce additional
incompatibilities.