libdate-calc-perl - XS vs. PurePerl backend in 6.3 upstream

Hello

The below quoted changelog entry is the lates in libdate-calc-perl's SVN.

Apparently before 2009-10 the package included the XS backend and there
was a separate pure-perl backend available on CPAN but not Debian. Since
2009-10 the package now contains the pure-perl backend as default and
the XS backend is available as separate CPAN package.

I would propose to simply stick with the authors choice of backend and
ship the Date::Calc package as it is available on CPAN.

No application was ever allowed to directly use the backend methods
so there should be no compatibility issue. The slight performance
drawback should be neglectible as we're talking about Perl scripts
after all :-)

Regarding the t/f000.t line, I'm not sure how to understand it. It is
possible to build and run "make test" of version 6.3 while having
6.0-1 (with XS backend) installed. So the tests seem clever enough
to really test their own sources and not some XS code
from /usr/lib/perl.

bye,

-christian-

libdate-calc-perl (6.3-1) UNRELEASED; urgency=low

  WAITS-FOR: libdate-calc-xs-perl

  TODO:
  - add libdate-calc-xs-perl to B-D-I -- or not, because
  - t/f000.t checks the version of libdate-calc-xs-perl and errors out
  if it's different - might lead to problems if an older version is
  installed (libdate-calc-xs-perl seems to depend on libdate-calc-perl
  >= its own version)
  - Q: what does "United "Date::Calc" and "Date::Pcalc" into a single
    distribution" (and the changelog entry below) tell us? we have also
    libdate-pcalc-perl

  * New upstream release
    + Date::Calc and Date::Pcalc are now a single distribution
    + Now split into a PurePerl and XS part
  * Added myself to Uploaders and Copyright
  * Now requires Bit::Vector 7.1
  * Examples have been removed, remove 'examples'
  * Move .docs to libdate-calc-perl.docs
  * Remove override from rules (examples are gone)
  * Change control description to note that this is no longer
    based on an interface to C (it's PurePerl)
  * This package is now Arch: all because the XS is moved
  * Updated copyright information
  * Added a NEWS entry to explain that the XS is separated

 -- Jonathan Yu <jawnsy@cpan.org>  Sat, 31 Oct 2009 21:41:19 -0400