Re: Perl 5.12

On Mar 9, 2010, at 10:54 AM, Mark Fowler wrote:

> Good morning.
>
> I'm wondering if anyone has done any work on packaging any of the Perl
> 5.11 releases yet?  I've been attempting in my own way, but making
> very little progress since I've never packaged anything as complex as
> Perl before.
>
> It's my understanding that Perl 5.12 is just round the corner;  All
> known blocking bugs are now closed (as of last night) and we'll be
> seeing a 5.12 RC in the very near future.

There is a separate mailing list regarding the packaging of the perl interpreter, I am sure they would welcome the help.

I've looked into packaging the perl interpreter a bit, for Maemo for example. It is non-trivial. I think you'll find those who currently package the perl interpreter for debian to be quite helpful and highly knowledgeable. Also note that the debian perl package and attendant perl-modules package, deviate from what is considered 'perl-core' from upstream.

Jeremiah