Re: How can a non-DD join/help the debian-perl group?

On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 14:22:48 +0200, Jeremiah Foster wrote:

> On Sep 15, 2009, at 8:21, Dusty Wilson [Megagram] wrote:

Welcome also from me!

> >I'm not a DD.  What does it take to begin helping out with random
> >tasks in the Debian Perl group?
> The first big step is your email that you sent, the second is
> lurking on the IRC channel - you'll see the various repository bots
> posting commits from the svn repo and you'll get an idea of what is
> being done and how people do it. Look at the Package Entropy Tracker
> as well: http://pkg-perl.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/pet.cgi

Ack, PET is indeed our centre for coordination, and might also answer
a bit the question what you can do in practice:
- if you enjoy tracking down nasty bugs start at the top and look at
  the release-critical bugs
- if you like to do general package maintainance you can help with
  upgrading the packages that have a newer upstream release available
- the section "with bugs" closer to the bottom could also use some
  eyeballs - probably quite a few bugs need more triaging (do the
  bugs still apply? does upstream / the CPAN RT know about them?)
  than heavy coding
- and of course new packages are possible too :)

The various docs at http://pkg-perl.alioth.debian.org/ should explain
most of the techicalities (from our subversion use till our policy
for various aspects of packages), and always feel free to ask on the
list or on IRC.

> >I've been writing in Perl since sometime around 1996.  I've created
> >several modules on the CPAN [0].

This experience will come in very handy for our team, thanks for
joining!

 .''`.   http://info.comodo.priv.at/ -- GPG Key IDs: 0x00F3CFE4, 0x8649AA06
 `. `'   Member of VIBE!AT, SPI Inc., fellow of FSFE | http://got.to/quote/
   `-    NP: Dire Straits: Love Over Gold