Re: RFC Debian package upgrade with Config::Model

Jonas Smedegaard <dr@jones.dk> writes:

> Even better: Provide a helper tool for packaging scripts to use.  That
> would ease later improvements or corner-case fixups.

You mean a dh_install_config_upgrader based on Debian::Debhelper::Dh_Lib?

If yes, that's a good idea. I could even add this new dh_ script to
current libconfig-model-perl package (just like dh_installtex is
provided by tex-common).

> You could then even make it a user choice if it should use a .cds
> extension or a separate tree structure. :-)

You mean a Debian packager choice?

(Since I've been working with Config::Model, I try to make a clear
distinction between upstream project developer, Debian packager and
Debian end user. These are the 3 main kind of people that may interact
with Config::Model.)

> Even if [ /etc is ] by far the most common, config (or config-like)
> files might exist in other locations, like /boot.  So I suggest to
> instead use /var/lib/config-model/upgrade/etc/approx/approx.cds for
> same example.

Good point.

I'll add these points in the package upgrade wiki page.

Jonas, do you maintain packages that would benefit from using
Config::Model during upgrades?

All the best

--
Dominique Dumont
"Delivering successful solutions requires giving people what they

irc:
  domidumont at irc.freenode.net
  ddumont at irc.debian.org