Re: Proposal to improve package configuration upgrades

Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> writes:

> Augeas, if I understand it correctly, requires modeling every
> configuration file that you want to handle using it.

Actually, Augeas requires a description of the syntax of the file (the
lens). Depending on the lens, the description may contain some
information regarding the semantics. With this description Augeas
provides a way to load configuration informations in a configuration
tree. But this configuration tree is often not able to validate
completely the content of the file.

On the other hand Config::Model require a complete description of the
semantic of the configuration file to construct a tree that will be
able to validate the content of a file. This description is
application dependant. It needs a way to load configuration file
content in the tree. This can be done with dedicated perl code (with
or without modules like Config::Ini) or with Augeas (See
Config::Model::OpenSsh for instance)

> That's going to make it rather hard to use as a distribution-wide
> solution,

It's not going to happen overnight...

> although it may be an improvement that's available in some specific
> cases where a model is available.

That's the idea.

All the best

--
Dominique Dumont
"Delivering successful solutions requires giving people what they

irc:
  domidumont at irc.freenode.net
  ddumont at irc.debian.org