Re: Proposal to improve package configuration upgrades

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 13:53:02 +0100, Dominique Dumont wrote:

> Previous common story you might say. But for a casual user (like my
> mother-in-law which now use Debian Lenny ;-) ), this can be
> frustrating:

It's also frustrating for me to have to go through changes and having
to decide between A and B.

> So I was thinking that this is a typical case where the upgrade could
> be smoothly handled by Config::Model.

If Config::Model could solve the merge problem (add the missing
three-way-merge function) I'm sure many people would buy you
$favourite_drink :)

ISTR that has been discussed more than one time in the past but it
still does not exist; I couldn't find anything on -devel or -project in 2009

Ah, I was thinking of Arthur Liu's summary of last year's Google
Summer of Code projects (summarised on his blog at
http://www.milliways.fr/ , keyword "mergemaster")

If I understand your idea and Config::Model's capabilities correctly
I think this is definitively worth following. And I suggest to
propose/discuss it on -devel (and maybe contact the people familiar
with mergemaster or other previous efforts before).

 .''`.   Home: http://info.comodo.priv.at/{,blog/} / GPG Key ID: 0x00F3CFE4
 `. `'   Member of VIBE!AT, SPI Inc., fellow of FSFE | http://got.to/quote/
   `-    NP: John Lennon