Re: Padre 0.25 released

-=| Steffen Mueller, Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 09:33:28AM +0100 |=-

> > Blocker:
> > * lib/Padre/Manual/Hacking.pod says:
> > Copyright 2008 The Padre Team.
> > but gives no license to use/distribute. Is this intentional or just an
> > oversight? If it is intentional, I'd have to remove it from the Debian
> > package.
>
> I am very, very sure that you can simply change this to the "Copyright
> Gabor Szabo, yada yada" notice

OK, I'll use

 Copyright: 2008 Gabor Szabo
 License: Perl
  This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
   modify it under the same terms as Perl 5 itself.

for that file too. If this is *not* what you mean, please tell me.
Otherwise please fix the file in SVN :)

> that adorns all other files. AFAIR,

Not "all" other. That's just FYI, as it is no problem for Debian:

 lib/Padre/Wx/Dialog/Snippets.pm
   Copyright 2008 Kaare Rasmussen

 lib/Padre/Plugin.pm, lib/Padre/Pod2HTML.pm,
 lib/Padre/Wx/HtmlWindow.pm, lib/Padre/Wx/PodFrame.pm,
 share/styles/ultraedit.yml
   Copyright 2008 Adam Kennedy

 t/collection/Config-Tiny/*
   Copyright 2002 - 2007 Adam Kennedy

all of these use the "same as Perl" license.

> all contributors were asked whether they'd agree to hand over
> copyright to Gabor.

That sounds fair, but given a mail and a file content, I have to use
what's in the file wrt copyright/license.

> > Needs clarification:
> > There are several modules that say author is Steffen Mueller, but
> > copyright says Gabor Szabo. Again, intentional (this is what I'd
> > assume, since this is what is written) or an oversight?
>
> They say author is me because I wrote them. That's a useful information
> in other contexts than copyright. ("who wrote that crap, damnit!?") I
> thought with the copyright notice pointing to Gabor, I'd make things
> simpler, not troublesome. So this is intentional. Let me know if it's
> also counter-productive. :)

It is just fine fine. Leave it as it is.

> > All of the above can be resolved by simple mail from you. No need
> > for yet another release just for them (I am also afraid of the
> > number of new dpendencies a new release could bring :)).
>
> You bet. We still don't have all of CPAN. Working on it. But for a small
> taste: The "portable padre" for win32 that includes a working Strawberry
> Perl, a Parrot, a Rakudo Perl(6), a wxWidgets and Padre weighs in at
> 300MB uncompressed.

Uh, oh!

> > Finally, congratulations for your awesome work! The changes are
> > impressive and padre is more and more coming close to the dream
> > Perl editor :)
>
> Thanks! Feel free to join us on irc.perl.org's #padre channel

You are not there :)