Packaging clive(-utils) 2 [was Re: Comments regarding libio-pager-perl_0.06-1_amd64.changes]

-=| Toni Gundogdu, Fri, Jan 02, 2009 at 12:07:17PM +0200 |=-
> Damyan Ivanov wrote:
> > 3. forget about IO::Pager and patch clive to not use it
>
> Probably worth noting that this module was made optional
> in 2.1.0. You can backport the changes if needed.
>
> Related git:/repo.or.cz/clive.git commits:
>   * f556d3d0c71d148d5f22325c3c6b691034928d52
>   * cde84eef76ed23ef2b93bf5a8899d7c5b5dd0844

Cool!

The clive 2.1.2 package is basically ready, it only waits for
clive-utils, which has problems. There are two Perl modules that
aren't packaged for Debian and most probably can't be packaged "as is"
now.

Crypt::Salt
'''''''''''
Crypt::Salt is very tiny and probably does not warrant a package by
its own. I've sent separate mail[0] about that.

    [0] http://bugs.debian.org/511069

Crypt::Twofish2
'''''''''''''''
Crypt::Twofish2 has no licensing information. README contains the
following text:

 The code is also copyright Counterpane Systems, no license
 accompanied it, so using it might actually be illegal

the actual implementation (twofish.c) says:

 Copyright 1998, Hi/fn and Counterpane Systems.  All rights reserved.

Indeed, no license is mentioned.

http://www.counterpane.com/twofish.html (from where the twofish.c file
was taken from) OTOH demands that "Twofish is unpatented, and the
source code is uncopyrighted and license-free; it is free for all
uses.", which sounds fine, but the actual source code insists there is
copyright involved and no license is mentioned.

Can't be packaged by Debian, as I see it. There is the possibility of
sorting all this with the copyright holders, but I am not very
entusiastic about taking the issue to corporate bodies.

There's an alternative Perl module -- Crypt::Twofish that seems to
provide the same interface and (in my understanding) has no licensing
problems. I only took a very brief look at it, though. Toni, what do
you think of the idea of migrating to Crypt::Twofish?