Re: The road to source format "3.0 (quilt)"

On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 21:59:54 +0200, Damyan Ivanov wrote:

> > - dh-make-perl support
> This is trivial to add. The hardest part is naming the option to set
> the source format and deciding about the default :)
> What is not so trivial is making --refresn convert between formats,
> adjusting rules/control accordingly.

I was indeed more thinking about the latter part :)

> > - full svn-buildpackage support (esp. for multiple tarballs)
> >
> > What does everybody think -- should me start to move more in that
> > direction? What else is missing? What needs to happen?
>
> I have a problem with the new format in that that building the package
> leaves the patches applied, so every time I build (with debuild or
> whatever pbuilder helper which first creates a source package) I have
> to unapply the patches. Is there some clever trick to avoid this?

Ha! I'm also running into a similar problem with a package of mine :)
(clean needs a patched build.xml; with v1 I would play with some
target dependencies to shuffle dh_quilt_(un)patch around, but with v3
and no explicit quilt dependency that does not work -- which would be
fine for dpkg-source since it expects _applied_ patches, but I don't
want to see what happens with the next svn-upgrade it I have applied
patches checked in in trunk ...
If that is confusing that's because I'm confused right now :))

So, yes, either someone explains the workflow with patches and svn to
us or fixes svn-bp or ...

 .''`.   http://info.comodo.priv.at/ -- GPG Key IDs: 0x00F3CFE4, 0x8649AA06
 `. `'   Member of VIBE!AT, SPI Inc., fellow of FSFE | http://got.to/quote/
   `-    NP: Neal Casal: Sweetvine