Re: Replacing libio-compress-bzip2-perl, libcompress-zlib-perl, libio-compress-zlib-perl, and libio-compress-base-perl with libio-compress-perl

Hi Scott!

You wrote:

> As I previously mentioned on the debian-perl list, upstream has combined
> libio-compress-bzip2-perl, libcompress-zlib-perl, libio-compress-zlib-perl,
> and libio-compress-base-perl into libio-compress-perl.  I'm working on
> updating this in Ubuntu and want to contribute the work back to Debian.

Great!

> The package builds and is Lintian clean (source and binary), but before it can
> be uploaded, libcompress-raw-bzip2-perl and libcompress-raw-zlib-perl will
> have to be updated.  As soon as this is done, libio-compress-bzip2-perl,
> libcompress-zlib-perl, libio-compress-zlib-perl, and libio-compress-base-perl
> will be uninstallable.

Why should the -raw package be updated?  The new libio-compress-perl
simply depends ont hem, so I don't see why these need to be changed.

Furthermore, as the new package Provides and Replaces the old
libio-compress-bzip2-perl, libcompress-zlib-perl,
libio-compress-zlib-perl, libio-compress-base-perl, I don't think they
will become uninstallable;  they will simply be replaced on any upgrade,
and can be safely removed from the archive once libio-compress-perl
makes it through NEW.  Or am I overlookign something here?

> I'm hoping to upload an Ubuntu'ized version of this soon, so I would
> appreciate any review comments people have to offer.

Will you also maintain and uplaod the package in Debian?

Best regards,
Bas.

| Bas Zoetekouw      | Sweet day, so cool, so calm, so bright, |
|--------------------| The bridall of the earth and skie:      |
| bas@zoetekouw.net  | The dew shall weep thy fall tonight;    |
+--------------------|                    For thou must die.   |